Mummy Madeleines – Chocolate and Almond Madeleines with a Cherry Glaze are just adorable!
Prep time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Equipment: Madeleine tin
For the madeleines:
- 115g butter, melted and at room temperature, plus 2 tbsp for greasing
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 90g plain flour (GF option: Replace plain flour for gluten-free flour)
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 small pinch salt
For the cherry glaze:
- 200ml water
- 100g sugar
- 200g fresh cherries, pitted and sliced
- 240g icing sugar, sifted
- Edible monster eyes
- Using an electric whisk, beat the eggs and sugar together on high speed for 8 minutes until the mixture is thick, pale, and forms ribbons when lifted. Beat in the almond extract until combined.
- Using a handheld whisk, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl. Gently fold into the egg mixture using a spatula or wooden spoon, half at a time.
- Mix 3-4 tablespoons of the batter into the melted butter until fully incorporated, and then gently stir it all into the rest of the batter until it becomes thick, silky, and shiny. Cover the surface of the batter with cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- During the last 15 minutes of chilling, grease the madeleine tin with the remaining melted butter using a pastry brush. Lightly dust the tin with cocoa powder, tapping it upside down in the sink to remove any excess. Refrigerate the tin for 10-15 minutes and preheat the oven to 175°C/gas mark 3.
- Place the chilled madeleine mixture, which should be airy and mousse-like, into each scalloped well of the tin to around 3⁄4 full, using either a spoon or a piping bag with a large nozzle. If using only 1 madeleine tin, cover and refrigerate the remaining batter for later.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 10 minutes, until the madeleines spring back under touch. Transfer the madeleines to a wire rack to cool. To make the cherry glaze, add the pitted and sliced cherries, water and sugar to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Sieve the contents over a bowl, gently stirring the cherries to leave you with a syrup. Leave to cool.
- Add the icing sugar to a bowl and mix in 4 tablespoons of cherry syrup, until it reaches a slightly thick consistency. For the madeleine ghosts, dip the madeleines in the icing mixture and place on edible eyes, leaving aside for the glaze to set. For the mummies, pipe the glaze onto the madeleines using a piping bag with a medium sized nozzle and place on the eyes.
Madeleines are best enjoyed fresh, straight after baking!
Authentic Aromatherapy & Giftware Store
Incense and Incense Burners
Candles and Candle Holders
Vintage Gifts, Crystals and Collectables
Eco and Fashion Bags
Gemstones and Esoteric Gifts
Gifts for Home and Garden
Scarves and Sarongs
Wooden Gifts and Decorations