Ten more bodies have been pulled from the rubble of a Miami building, which collapsed two weeks ago, bringing the total death count to 46, authorities have said.
Miami-Dade Assistant Fire Chief Raide Jadallah told family members in a private briefing on Wednesday that additional human remains had also been found in the wreckage.
Crews “did some significant removal of the pile”, he said.
“They were able to get down to various areas to inspect.”
It comes as the search for victims reached its 14th consecutive day.
No one has been rescued from the site since the immediate aftermath of the high-rise condominium collapse on June 24 when many residents were asleep.
Emergency teams have been growing increasingly pessimistic as they find no new signs of survival in recent days.
Miami-Dade County fire chief Alan Cominsky said on Tuesday that they were still searching “as aggressively as we can”.
But he added: “Unfortunately, we are not seeing anything positive. The key things – void spaces, living spaces – we’re not seeing anything like that.”
On Tuesday, more than 100 people who were in Champlain Towers South remain unaccounted for.
While still officially a search and rescue, Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said families were preparing for confirmation of “tragic loss”.
She said President Joe Biden, who visited the area last week, called on Tuesday to offer his continued support.
The search is expected to carry on despite the approach of Hurricane Elsa, as Surfside is forecast to avoid the worst of the weather.
Concerns the remains of the tower could be brought down by the storm prompted a controlled demolition a few days ago.
It also opened up a larger search area, including bedrooms where people were believed to have been sleeping when the tower came down on 24 June.